Sunday, July 14, 2019
Author : Bishop Julius Okarike
Verse Of The Day : I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. Because of the house of the LORD our God I will seek your good. Psalms 122:1,9
LISTEN : Jesus Christ is the hope of the world. He is the way to God. To know God you should know Jesus Christ the image and glory of God. He is the head of the church, and we His body and members of God’s family. We are the church and should fellowship with others in the church of God. Sadly, lots of people struggle with going to church, especially young people. To make going to church pleasurable, here are five ways to achieve that:
* Grow In Understanding – understanding of a thing makes action purposeful and meaningful. Full understanding of a thing helps you to make right decisions. Lots of people find it difficult to be regular in church because they don’t understand the importance of church attendance and Christian fellowship. If they do, they will be glad to go to church (Psalms 122:1).
* Grow Your Love For God – Love attracts and creates intimacy. We tend to spend our time with those we love. In the same way, if we grow our love for God we will love to spend time with Him. But if you find it difficult to attend church, it means that, you have not yet increased your love for God (John 20:19-25).
* Grow Your Love For Fellow Believers – fellow believers are your brothers and sisters in the family of God. As a family member, your responsibility to them is to fellowship with them always. When you stay away from them, you have neglected your duty (Hebrews 10:25). But when your love for the family of God grows, you will begin to see your absence from church as unwise, unreasonable and carnally motivated (John 20:26-29).
* Grow Your Love For Eternity – worldliness makes people forget about eternity; and eternity mindedness makes people too careful of worldliness. When you pursue the world you will lose focus of eternity with God. When you are deeply attached to the world and its pleasure, you will find it difficult to go to church on a regular basis. Sadly, there is a price to pay for ignoring God (1 Samuel 2:30).
* Don’t Be Idle In Church – be engaged with church work. Look for a place to serve in church. Never go to church waiting to be served. You can serve in the choir, ushering department, protocols, welfare, counselling, house fellowship, instrument, media, mission, etc. Don’t go to church to watch people; rather, go to church to work with others to the glory of God (Romans 12:11). Be wise!
Having read today’s devotional, what is expected of you?
1. Don’t see churchgoing as a mere Christian routine and ritual, but a determination to honour God with your life.
2. Henceforth, see skipping church as unreasonable, ungodly and a carnal behaviour .
3. Think about Christian fellowship always, and joyfully prepare to meet other Christians in Christian meetings.
4. Be engaged with some responsibilities in the church and be committed to them.
Prayer : Everlasting Father, today my eyes are opened to your word. Help me to take Christian fellowship seriously henceforth, amen!
Reflection : Skipping church just to pursue your interest is unreasonable, ungodly and a carnal behaviour.
Quote : “Worldliness makes people forget about eternity; and eternity mindedness makes people mindful of worldliness.”
Faith Confession : In Jesus name, I confess that, churchgoing is vital to Christian faith. Therefore, I will take churchgoing seriously, amen!
Biblical Fact : Did you know only Daniel could read and interpret to king Belshazzar the strange writing on the wall in his palace? (Daniel 5:24-28).
Today In History : July 14, 1853 New Zealand holds its first general election.
Stunning Fact : Did you know an ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain?
A Word Of Blessing : You will make a difference. May God anoint you with desire to take churchgoing seriously. May you not rest until you have fulfilled God’s purpose for your life, in Jesus’ name, amen!
TOPIC : IT PAYS TO BE FAITHFUL TO GOD AND MAN
Sunday, July 14, 2019
Bible Verse : A faithful man shall abound with blessings… Proverbs 28:20
LISTEN : My dear, do you want to be blessed? Then, be faithful. It pays to be faithful. Faithfulness to God is key to receiving His blessings. God loves the faithful and therefore, will bless them. Just as people do not feel safe to deal or relate with those who are untrustworthy, God feels the same way too. God cannot commit anything to an unfaithful person. This is because an unfaithful person cannot be trusted. Such person will fail you and break your heart when you need him the most. Unfaithful people do not have value for integrity and reputation. They do not care about a dent in their public image. My dear, what does it mean to be faithful? It means to have or show true and constant loyalty: deserving trust and keeping your promises or doing what you are supposed to do. Beloved, faithfulness to God and in your dealings with man will open the door of blessings to you. If you must be blessed, you must first be trusted. Before God blessed Abraham, He tested him and was sure that Abraham will not fail Him. (see Genesis 18:17,19). Beloved, faithfulness is a ladder to the top. You cannot move higher in life and sustain it with a crooked lifestyle. Unfaithfulness will mar your life, but faithfulness will take you from nothing to something; from prison to palace, and from frustration to favour. So, be faithful, because you will reap what you sow. Be wise!
Prayer : Dear Lord, help me to grow in faithfulness for the rest of my life, in Jesus’ name, amen!