Thursday, August 15, 2019
Author : Bishop Julius Okarike
Verse Of The Day : … We should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter. Romans 7:6
LISTEN : To walk with God, newness of life is non negotiable. You must be transformed into a new person in Christ Jesus to be able to have intimate relationship with God. Lots of people claim to serve God but don’t realise how important it is to walk in newness of life. Few months ago, I told a story about a man who returned from work on a certain day and saw his habitually dirty and haggard looking wife dressed on a very beautiful and expensive attire. He exclaimed, “Wow!” And further asked, “Woman, you look good. What are we celebrating today? For I have never seen you like this?” His wife replied, “My dear husband, we are not celebrating anything. I am just applying what our Pastor taught us today. He said we should walk in newness of life. I am a changed person now. And since I am born again in the spirit, I should also effect a change in my physical outlook.” Her husband smiled and said, “Woman, this is how I have ever wanted you to look. Please keep it up, and I will continue to love and cherish you.” My dear, God wants us to act like the woman in this story. Our life should reflect our inward transformation. Here are reasons why we should walk in newness of life:
1. Our Relationship With Christ Requires A Change Of Attitude (Romans 12:1-2). Our faith in Jesus Christ has buried our old nature of sin and allegiance to Satan. Therefore, we should walk in newness of life. We should through the way we live demonstrate that we are different from people who don’t know God.
2. We Have A Serious Battle To Fight. Our newness of life position us for a serious and good fight – the fight of faith and righteousness. It’s a battle unknown to our old nature. It’s a new battle, and every new battle requires a new plan. We have a new identity in Christ. Therefore, our inner transformation should affect our outward performance. The life of Christ should be seen in us.
3. We Now Belong To Christ – because you are in Christ Jesus, old things are gone, now everything is new. You are no longer your own, but Christ’s. Therefore, it’s an error to still retain your old and ungodly lifestyles with the new life. Be wise!
Having read today’s devotional, what is expected of you?
1. Always walk in newness of life and not in the old nature of sin and ungodliness.
2. Demonstrate your newness in Christ by the way you live.
3. Be strong and courageous and fight the fight of faith.
4. Speak up for Jesus Christ wherever you go, and let your life reflect His love.
Prayer : Almighty God, you are my God and Saviour, help me to walk in newness of life as long as I live, in Jesus’ name, amen.
Reflection : He who is dead and buried with Christ Jesus should also resurrect with Him in newness of life.
Quote : “It is an error to retain and combine the old and ungodly life with the new life in Christ.”
Faith Confession : In Jesus name , I confess that my faith in God is non-negotiable. Therefore, I will walk in newness of life, amen.
Biblical Fact : Did you know after Elijah fled for his life, he did sleep under a juniper tree? (1 Kings 19:1-4).
Today In History : August 15 2007 An earthquake of 8.0 magnitude kills over 500 and injures more than 1,000 in Peru.
Stunning Fact : Did you know sun light can penetrate clean ocean water up to a depth of 73m (240 feet)?
A Word Of Blessing : It’s well with you. Today I speak to your life, may God help you to walk in newness of life for the rest of your life, amen.
Thursday, August 15, 2019
TOPIC : DO NOT IGNORE THE GOODNESS OF GOD
Bible Verse : I will sing to the LORD, because he has been good to me. Psalms 13:6
LISTEN : Can we ever deny the goodness of God? The universe is evidence of His goodness. Truly, God is good, and His mercy endures forever. (Psalms 136:1-25). He is good to all – both young and old. No one can deny His goodness to humanity. He created the sun to give heat (warmth) and lighten the day, the moon to lighten the night. Rain to water our vegetations and to produce food enough to sustain us. He blesses us with many water sources (sea, rivers, streams, springs, swamps, lakes, lagoon, oceans, etc.); above all, He blesses us with life. Beloved, your life today is God’s goodness to you. Never take it for granted, or complain about what you think is not good enough in your life. Learn to acknowledge and appreciate the goodness of God no matter what. If you can praise God for what He has done for you no matter how little, He will do the unimaginable for you. David understands how reasonable it is to reciprocate God’s goodness, and he said, “I will sing to the LORD, because he has been good to me.” (Psalms 13:6). Like David, let us sing to the LORD and appreciate Him for all His kindness towards us. Be wise!
Prayer : Dear Lord, you are good to me. Therefore, I will forever appreciate your goodness in my life, amen!