Tuesday, August 27, 2019
Author : Bishop Julius Okarike
Verse Of The Day : Blessed is the man who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life, which he promised to those who love Him. James 1:12
LISTEN : When temptation comes, people tend to groan, murmur and complain about it. They wish it could be wished away. I’ve heard people prayed never to experience temptations. My dear, your prayers shouldn’t be not to experience temptation, but not to be overcome by it. Temptations will always come, be prepared to overcome it. What is temptation? In the Bible, the word temptation primarily denotes a trial in which man has a free choice of being faithful or unfaithful to God; only secondarily does it signify enticement or seduction to sin. As believers, it’s good for us to be tried, because trial brings blessings. Here are two reasons why you should endure temptation:
1. Temptation Gives You The Opportunity to Grow – when temptation comes, it leaves you with two options: to be faithful to God, or be unfaithful to Him. With the pressure, suffering and pain that comes with temptation, it is easier to fall than to stand; and easier to disobey God and follow our own will, than to obey Him. When you’re tempted, it’s not a time to quit your faith in Christ Jesus; but a time to demonstrate your unalloyed loyalty to God. Besides, it’s your opportunity to grow. Every genuine believer comes out stronger and better after temptation.
2. Victory Over Temptation Puts A Crown Of Glory On Your Head -you’ll be blessed when you endure and overcome temptations. Not only will you be blessed in this life, but the life to come. Our Bible verse says, “Blessed is the man who endures temptation, for …he will receive the crown of life…” (James 1:12). My dear, temptation is an opportunity for you to be promoted; but that’ll depend on what you do when you’re tempted. Trust me, you’ll be promoted when you endure and overcome temptations. Besides, God will crown those who endure temptation with eternal life at the coming of Christ. So, no matter what, determine to endure temptation. Be wise!
Having read today’s devotional, what is expected of you?
1. Learn to endure temptation by studying the word of God.
2. Meditate in the word of God to guide your behaviour towards life.
3. When you’re tempted, turn the temptation into an opportunity for your promotion.
4. When sinners entice you determine to resist them by the word of God.
Prayer : Almighty God, you are my God. Help me to endure and overcome temptation when I am tried, in Jesus’ name, amen.
Reflection : Don’t have contempt for temptation. It’s good for us to be tried, because trial brings blessings.
Quote : “He who is serious with God can’t be ruined by temptation; but will come out stronger and better after the trials.”
Faith Confession : Today, I confess that temptation is natural to man. Therefore, I will not fail or fall because of temptation. Instead, I will endure and overcome, amen.
Biblical Fact : Did you know Nehemiah was the Cupbearer of King Artaxerxes? (Nehemiah 2:1).
Today In History : August 27, 1945 B-29 Superfortress bombers begin to drop supplies into Allied prisoner of war camps in China.
Stunning Fact : Did you know employees of the Vatican pay no income tax?
A Word Of Blessing : You’ll make a difference. May God strengthen you not to be overwhelmed by temptation. And may you endure and overcome, in Jesus’ name, amen.
TOPIC : LOVE CAN DO ANYTHING
Tuesday, August 27, 2019
Bible Verse : For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16
LISTEN: Life is meaningless without love. Imagine a world without love, how will it look? A life without love is an expression of a life without God. God is a God of love and God is love (1John 4:8). He expressed His love by given His son Jesus Christ for us. God’s love for the world took Jesus Christ to the cross. He gave him up willingly for us to be saved. (Romans 8:32). Love can give anything. Jesus Christ bore the weight of our sins on the cross because God loves us. He died to save and bring us back to God. His death brings us spiritual and bodily healing (Isaiah 53:5). What a privilege! God loves us even when we don’t love Him. The love of God is agape, the God kind of love. God’s kind of love cares about the welfare of others and loves unconditionally. Beloved, in Christ, God gave His all. He loved us and still loves us in spite of our sins and misdeeds. So, it will be unfair to reject his love which He demonstrated in Christ Jesus. His love for us cost Him the very life of His Son, and through Jesus Christ, He gives us assurance of eternal life when we believe and stand with Him to the very end. My dear, Jesus Christ died because He loves us, therefore, we should love God because Jesus Christ died for us. Be wise!
Prayer : Everlasting Father, I thank you for your word today. I know that, love can give anything. Therefore, help me to love unconditionally, amen.