Thursday, September 26, 2019
Author : Bishop Julius Okarike
Verse Of The Day : Hear, LORD, and have mercy on me. LORD, be my helper. You have turned my mourning into dancing for me. You have removed my sackcloth, and clothed me with gladness. Psalms 30:9-10
LISTEN : A heart of sorrow can hardly enjoy or see pleasure in the good things of life. Sorrow breaks the heart of people and make them to see the bitter part of life. In deep sadness, it’s difficult to believe that, everything will be fine. Thankfully, sorrow is not a permanent state of life. God can turn your sorrow to joy. Here are three things that makes God turn sorrow to joy:
* A Cry For Mercy – God never rejects a sincere cry for mercy. He forgives and restores the penitent. Sometimes, sorrow comes upon us because of our misdeeds. But when we acknowledge our sin and seek His help, He forgives and turns away our captivity. My dear, are you going through self-inflicted sorrow? Please don’t hesitate to cry for mercy. God will forgive and bring joy to your life if you can come to Him with a sincere heart of repentance (2 Chronicles 7:14).
* Prayer Offered In Faith – God is not moved by tears but by faith. It’s not how much you cry but how much faith you’re prepared to release. As a matter of fact, tears without faith can’t attract God, but faith without tears can. When you’re in sorrow or pain, don’t allow the situations to bury your faith in unbelief. Instead, keep believing when you don’t feel like it anymore (Mark 9:23). My dear, your miracle is in your faith.
* When You Seek Your Help In Him – people begin and die in sorrow because they choose to abandon God in favour of alternatives. My dear, there’s no alternative to God. He who discovers alternatives to God has discovered an easy way to frustration, heartbreak and destruction. Friend, to turn your sorrow to joy, you must seek the help of the living God. Alternatives to God can only compound your woes. Therefore, reject them and hold on to God. Be wise!
Having read today’s devotional, what is expected of you?
1. Don’t allow your sorrow to shut up your mouth. Instead, cry for mercy.
2. Determine to pray in faith and never pray just for the sake of prayer.
3. Don’t abandon God in favour of alternatives. Instead, run to Him and be saved.
4. Even if your heart is troubled or broken, don’t lose hope. Instead, pray to God and keep your faith and hope alive.
Prayer : Everlasting Father, I thank you because you turn sorrow to joy. Turn my sorrows to joy today, in Jesus’ name, amen.
Reflection : People begin and die in sorrow because they choose to abandon God in favour of alternatives.
Quote : “God is not moved by tears but by faith. Tears without faith can’t attract God, but faith without tears can.”
Faith Confession : In Jesus’ name, I confess that God turns sorrow to joy when we walk by faith. Therefore, I will walk by faith, amen!
Biblical Fact : Did you know Noah’s Ark was 300 cubits (450 feet) long, 50 cubits (75 feet) wide, and 30 cubits (45 feet) high? (Genesis 6:15).
Today In History : September 26, 1941 The U.S. Army establishes the Military Police Corps.
Stunning Fact : Did you know Mount Everest is 8.9km (5.5 miles) high?
A Word Of Blessing : It’s well with you. May the Lord bless you and turn your sorrow to joy, in Jesus’ name, amen.
Thursday, September 26, 2019
TOPIC : GOD BLESSES THOSE WHO CONSIDER THE POOR
Bible Verse : The one who is gracious to the poor lends to the LORD, and the LORD will repay him for his good deed. Proverbs 19:17 (NET)
LISTEN : God is not ignorant of your kindness to the poor and needy. What you do to them you’ve done it to God. The Bible says that the poor won’t cease in the land (Deut 15:11), therefore, they should be graciously assisted. We should show some pity to those who are destitute and hurting. We should give to others to relieve their pain and stress. God has variously shown us His favours. Therefore, we should extend same to others. We should stop being selfish and begin to be sacrificial. My dear, the Day you stop to live just for yourself is the day you have started to live for God. So, learn to always consider the poor and needy. God is concerned about them, and so should we. Give to others what you will want them give to you. Jesus Christ said, “In everything, treat others as you would want them to treat you, for this fulfill the law and the prophets.” (Matthew 7:12). Beloved, how would you like others to treat you? Treat them like that too. Be compassionate to the poor, for what you do for them you do to God. So, let’s help those who are in need as we have the opportunity today. Be wise!
Prayer : Dear Lord, help me to love and help the poor and needy, in Jesus’ name, amen.